WALNUT RIDGE ARMY FLYING SCHOOL
The Walnut Ridge Army Flying School was established in Arkansas as part of the expansion of World War II pilot training. Training at Walnut Ridge began on October 12, 1942, and students began training on the BT-13. In less than two years, 5,310 students entered training, and 4,641 graduated. The last class graduated on June 27, 1944. This collection of photographs comes 2nd Lt. Ivan L. Briggs, dated July 24, 1943. Ivan L. Briggs joined the United States Army Air Force in February 1943 and received his wings at Freeman Field in November 1943. He arrived in England in 1944 and flew B17 and B24 bombers for the Army 8th Air Force. He was KIA when his plane was shot down over Germany on September 12, 1944.